With Autumn here and Winter quickly approaching, many of us turn our activities to craft shows, gift making, and the pursuit of warmth and coziness. If you’re looking for a warm, stylish beanie that works up quickly, look no further than The Rustic Beanie!
Suitable for anyone, and oh so warm! Make several of these as gifts or for your own crochet stores and craft shows. Using Lion Brand Hometown USA yarn, and a 10mm crochet hook, you’ll spend more time choosing your stripe colors than you will working up these cozy hats. Construction is a breeze using the Magic Circle Method – and you can view my helpful video tutorial for it down below.
But don’t forget to subscribe to my channel for more tutorials and free video patterns! I have a lot of great content planned for the channel, so stay tuned!
There are many ways to customize The Rustic Beanie to your liking. Make one row of your secondary color, instead of two, for a more narrow stripe. Or, consider adding a pompom for a festive, classic winter apparel lookC .
if you prefer a printable, ad-free copy of this pattern, a high quality PDF version is available on my Ravelry and Etsy stores. Your onetime purchase supports the livelihood of this site ❤️
Or, Buy On Etsy
The free version of this pattern, found down below – is for the basic, adult sized unisex Rustic Beanie. The printable PDF version, available on both my Ravelry and Etsy stores, contain a stripe variation tutorial for beginners, and instructions on sizing it down for children.
The Rustic Beanie Pattern
You will need:
- 10mm Crochet hook (U.S. size N-15) . I recommend this set of ergonomic hooks from Amazon!
- size 6 yarn – two skeins at least, a main color and a secondary color – I recommend Lion Brand Hometown USA. Get it here.
- Yarn needles and scissors for weaving in ends.
- Row 1 – Begin by making 12 Dc in a Magic Circle. Sl st to join. Ch 1
- Row 2 – Make 2 Dc in each stitch around. Sl st to join. Ch 1
- Row 3 – *Make 1 Dc in first stitch, then 2 Dc in the next stitch. Repeat from * all the way around. Sl st to join. Ch 1.
- Rows 4 & 5 – Join secondary hat color to main round, as shown below. Dc around. Sl st to join. Ch 1.
- Switch back to your base hat color.
(make a loop with secondary yarn color, and insert into your active stitch. pull the base color to tight around new loop – crochet around as normal. when its time to switch back to your previpous color, simply pull your old working yarn through your active stitch. this will create a line, but because it’s on the inside of the hat, no one wll be able to see it, and you’ll have less ends to weave in!)
- Rows 6 & 7 – Dc around. Sl st to join. Ch 1.
- Rows 8 – 12 – Begin Front Loop Sc – Changing colors with each row, to create a striped ribbing.
- Tie off, weave in ends.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this free crochet pattern – The Rustic Beanie is sure to make you and your loved ones smile for years to come. Have a great week and be sure to share this with all your crafty friends!